Saturday, 6 February 2016

ACW Skirmish

The other night we had our first skirmish with our 54mm ACW troops.

 Just a small game with a little over 20 figures a side.
 Gav split his Union into two groups and to be different I went for three smaller groups.
One of Gav's groups.

and the other group. More photos on his blog at Ogilvie VC  

 We opened fire on each other across this field on my right flank. I had already lost two guys before I even had a chance to take a photo!
 My centre group open up a long range fire on Gav's right flank group that are lurking in the rocks.
 The Union were shooting well and Gav managed to suppress my whole centre group for a while.
 More firing over on my right and it was a disaster. The rest of my group here were killed. 
Only one thing left to do. I charged the Union group that were in the rocks with my last group. The Rebel Yell must have made the difference. I lost one guy but the Union lost all but two. Their last two guys ran away and the Union morale was pretty low.

This was a good first run through of the rules. No objectives or that and totally the same armies. It was just a chance for me , Gav and Geoff to see how the rules play.  

Enjoyable enough for us to be keen on another game one day soon.

The rules were Smooth and Rifled.

Sunday, 17 January 2016

Battle for Martin Farm

The crossroads at Martin Farm was important. Very important, as it happens, for the Union and Confederate armies.

Martin Farm
 The armies deployed, ready to take control of the area.
 Both sides advanced toward the main road.

 The Rebel left flank attempted to take the Union in the flank.
 The Rebels won the race to the farm.
 With their weight on the flanks the Reb's were a bit thin in the centre.
 Out gunned, the Rebels held on.
 Hood and Longstreet struggle to keep up with advance.
 The fighting around the farm was very heavy.
 The Union left flank was outnumbered and was forced to give ground under the pressure of the Confederate charges.
 The Union artillery in the centre was forced to retreat but the infantry kept on firing.
 Over on the Union right flank the Rebels were still advancing through the trees...
.... and then charged into the Union lines.
 As darkness fell the Rebels had control of the farm and the crossroads. The Union army began to withdraw, still able to fight another day.
28mm game using Regimental Fire & Fury.

Sunday, 10 January 2016

American Civil War in 54mm

A while ago I was having a coffee with Gav from Ogilvie VC . Some how, somewhere along the way I was conned by this gentleman, into painting some 54mm figures.

" I'll give you the figures" he said.

"Just have to paint a few for a game" he said.

Knowing that I should walk away from this somehow didn't help. Before I knew it I was walking out with a few dozen figures in a box!

Over the next week or two the number of troops required for a game grew to 20 odd!

 I found an old Britains cannon that I had owned for many years. No crew though!
 Modified one figure and painted up an officer to man the gun. I also made a few changes and additions to the gun.
 I think these figures are all a mixture of A Call To Arms, Accurate and Armies in Plastic.
 Gav has bought some rules so now we just have to wait for him to read the rules and tell me what to do!

The figures turned out rather better than I thought they would.

Roll on our first game.


Sunday, 20 December 2015

Casualties of Battle.

Earlier this year I was very lucky to be able to spend a few days at Gettysburg. While I was there I visited the local war games shop and came away with a small supply of reserves.

One bag I bought was Old Glory's ACW Hospital set.

 Found a couple of spare arms floating around not doing much so I added them into this stand.

 Another wounded Reb being brought in for the surgeon to his bit.

 A Confederate soldier helping a wounded Union brother.
There is a wagon with a couple of horses and a couple of riders, as well as another figure that I have yet to attack with a paintbrush.

Sunday, 13 December 2015

A rugged adventure.

The other week a couple of the lads got together for a wee game.

The IRA were having a secret meeting away from watching eyes and listening ears.

 Somehow though someone managed to inform both the local police and the British army!

  From opposite directions the army boys and the police make their way towards the building where the meeting is taking place.


 Hidden around the grounds are some lookouts, ready to give the signal should they see anything.

 An Irishman watching over the wall spots some army lads sneaking between hedge and trees. His shot misses but it does alert the rest of the IRA in the house.
 Another lookout,at the other end of the property, spots some police as they come through a gap in the hedges.
 He opens fire and drops the leading policeman.
 With their cover blown the army boys make a dash for the wall.
 Other groups of police and army are now rushing towards the building where the meeting is being held.
 One of the lookouts has been hit. The wounded man heads back to his friends as other members of the IRA are now either shooting out from the windows or rushing out side to help.
 With shots being fired all over the place the IRA members decide to make a run for it.
 Splitting up, about half of them go each way trying to get away from there attackers.
 A gap at the end of the wall looks like the easiest way on this side but the army have noticed this too.
 Over on the police side the IRA have had to abandon their wounded comrades so that at least some of them might escape to fight another day. 
At the end of the wall the fighting becomes desperate. The Irish manage to hold off the army long enough for some of the members to get away.

Most of the IRA lads were wounded and later captured but enough of them did get away and I am sure they will be back.

The rules were Rugged Adventures.
Most of the figures were painted by Nate at