Sunday 13 May 2012

Fort Wayne.

A couple of months ago I started gluing sticks together and Fort Wayne began to take shape.

 This all came about due to a conversation early last year between my mate Wayne and I over needing a fort for our Southern Strategists group for our FIW games. I thought, this sounds like something that I could have a go at, so after a year of procrastinating I made a start.
Because it was Wayne's idea I have named it after him and it now resides in his wargames room.


The base is made from 3mm MDF with a textured plaster covering, the walls are sanded strips of balsa wood and the lift off roof is made from card tiles.

I made the walkway around the fort rather wide to help accommodate our figure's bases.

 There are wall sections that are the same size as the building to allow for it to be part of the wall or placed within the walls or left out altogether.

 The gates are hinged so that they could be left open or closed.

 The card tiled roof can be removed to allow for the placement of figures within the building.


I also made up a couple of stands of damaged wall section for when the attacker finally breaks in.

The fort saw action back in March when we had our first FIW game
http://southern-strategists.blogspot.co.nz/2012/03/28mm-french-indian-war-battle.html and
http://dispatchesfromthemess.blogspot.co.nz/2012/03/french-indian-war.html

26 comments:

  1. Thats awesome! Love how you made some for the wall breaking down, Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, I love it! All is perfect, you can open it, deform it, open the roof, install lots of figs...I'm in admiration, Rodger, a really great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what I call dynamic scenery. Awesome made Rodger!

    Greetings
    Peter
    http://peterscave.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a tremendous piece of work, I especially like the damaged wall sections. Wonderful work Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fort and walls are a great looking piece of modeling! Sweet job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great fort Rodger, makes an excellent centerpiece for your FIW games!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb work Rodger, the scaling looks spot on. Great ideas for the damaged sections and lift out roof.

    Ten out of ten!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I like the look of that!!!! what a great fort, I want one of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nicely done. I like the look of the 'real twigs' used to make the stockade wall. I like the broken down section too, thats cool.

    I'll probably copy the idea to do a LOTR Rohan sytle outpost garrison fort, the only difference being the building would be more darkage Saxon style adorned with Horses heads, perhaps incorpoarting a stables, with thatched roof, and similar horse-headed posts for the gate posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks amazing. Great job.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so much better than anything you could purchase from a manufacturer. And it looks like you've inspired everyone to either make one of their own or buy yours. The way you shot the pics with the big fern in the background is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is amazing there and something to be pound of. Great modelling skills on display. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, you have done really well with this fort Rodger, the breached wall is a great idea also, well executed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bravo Rodger! That's a superb scenery piece.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Most impressive !!!

    Best regards Michael

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great looking fort. I like the idea of broken sections for representng battle damage

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rodger, I'm honoured to have the fort in my games room. I know it will give us years of enjoyment, both in the Mess and at the Redoubt. The question now is what are you going to do next? How about a fortified manor or a motte and bailey castle? Just joking....as I reckon your deserve a rest from the hours you have recently put in.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow - I can't believe I missed this post; awesome work! The out-of-doors photography makes it look so realistic. Museum quality. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic fort, Rodger...I am impressed with your work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a great looking fort!!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the pointed posts for the walls. I've soon got to consider building a Maori pa for my NZ Wars project, so might seek your advice on those. Your fort, my the way, looks just like the 1840s Fort Richmond in the Hutt Valley.

    ReplyDelete